Tuesday 15 January 2013

Much Ado About Dinner



What does a Cordon Bleu student eat for dinner?  I’m glad you asked.

If you envision elegantly plated meals with the finest wines, you are sadly mistaken.  More often than not we eat our class dishes – some days that’s a lot of food, and other days, it’s little or none.  After the Chef grades our plates, we scrape the leftovers into plastic containers and/or freezer bags while we’re cleaning up the kitchen.  By the time we’re home for the day, the sauces, proteins and garniture are inevitably a congealed lump.  And if it wasn’t a particularly tasty dish to start with it can be downright nasty by then.

So when I got home after class this afternoon, the last sad, cold blob of Poulet Basquaise was staring at me from the shelf in the fridge.  I couldn’t bear the thought of another rich reduced sauce.  Every dish last week had a similar type of sauce and I just couldn’t stomach any more.

I grabbed my grocery bags and bolted to the nearest Asian grocery store, jamming my cart full of interesting greens, mushrooms, kimchi,  char siu, fermented black beans, various noodles, and enough soup dumplings to run a small dim sum restaurant for a month.

But this is typical, for me at least.  During my last sojourn at LCB, I started to crave anything and everything that wasn’t French cuisine.  Perhaps it’s from working with the ingredients, thinking about recipes, and marinating in the smell of the kitchens every day, but the food gets tedious pretty quickly.  The dishes on the curriculum aren’t always the most tasty – they are part of the course to be instructive of a technique or about the cuisine of a particular region.  I doubt there has ever been a person who has woken in the middle of the night saying “Damn, I’d really love some Truite en Bellevue “.

So tonight I enjoyed some kimchi and tofu soup and it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment