Monday 13 May 2013

Polishing a Turd

Most of the dishes in Superior Cuisine are pretty good.  The dish we made in class today was not one of them.

Flipping through my book last week, I noted that our next dish was stuffed sole with pike mousse and champagne sauce.  Bloody hell.... pike again.  It's one of the most disgusting fish, and, in typical Cordon Bleu fashion, it's pureed with egg whites and cream, stuffed inside another white fleshed fish, and covered in a white-ish sauce - just the sort of seafood thing I hate.

This dish reminds me of the old PR man's saying:  "You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter."  No amount of black truffle or champagne is going to make this dish anything it other than yucky and boring.  This Chef 2's plate from the demo.



I could tell that Chef 2 was less than thrilled about the dish during the demo.  He's normally pretty cheerful and enthusiastic, but today he seemed more interested in demonstrating fun things to do with asparagus and carrots.  He also warned us that this dish is not easy - lots of different things to do and keep track of. Yay...

I stumbled into the practical less than enthused.  But I stayed focussed and got through it.  My dish was okay, such that it was anything. Fortunately, we were able to supplement the pike in the stuffing with langoustine, but that didn't make it much better.  Properly cooked, and a nicely presented plate, other than that I burned my carrots.  But not bad for a half-assed effort.

A glittering turd indeed.

2 comments:

  1. "You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter" - haha! I've never heard the second half of that expression before, but I'll have to remember it.

    Oh, and that dish sounds gross. Pureed pike with cream and egg whites? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF is my sentiment exactly. But I suppose it beats another icky fish thing with aspic.

    ReplyDelete