Monday 10 June 2013

The Day Before

So here I am.... the day before my final exam.

I've spent the better part of the last week practicing my exam dishes and quietly freaking out.  I'm usually pretty calm under pressure, but there is nothing quite like the formality of an exam to get the adrenaline going.

I've made all the components of my dishes several times. I've timed everything, re-ordered my mise en place several times, and looked for every shortcut possible.  I've made part of my dishes without measuring, just to see what happens.  I've tried shaving time off the complicated parts, just to see what might be the worst case scenario if I get in the weeds.

And, all things considered, it's been pretty good.

My uniform is washed, starched, pressed, and in my locker at school.  My tools are all sparkling clean, my knives sharp.  I'm not sure I can do anything more except get a good night's sleep tonight and try to remind myself of a few important truths:

1. These are my dishes.  I created them because they work for me and I know what I'm doing.

2. I'm not going to forget everything I've learned on one day.  All the practice and good instincts will help me if things start going wrong.

3. It's just a test.  If I can do as well as I do on most practicals I'll be fine.

Exam starts just after 1:30PM tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, all checked! And after that what are you going to do? A cook for life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Sarah. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete