Monday 15 April 2013

Escargots, Lattes, and the End of Week 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, I ended last week with both a "black box" workshop and my first lesson in "front of the house" in the Signatures Bistro.

The workshop went rather well.  Some serious studying/brain wracking earlier in the week gave me a few cool ideas, and I was actually able to pull most of them off.  My best work was definitely my escargots appetizer, and I don't even like escargots.  I made a potato and pastis soup with a little parsley oil and a fine brunoise of zucchini.  Chef 2 was very pleased - even said "congratulations!"  I don't hear that too often!


My second plate was a variety of vegetable appetizers.  No pictures, sadly, because my phone battery was dying.  Beet ravioli in a lemon butter sauce, carrot and apple soup, shaved asparagus salad, and a mushroom risotto.  Chef said the ravoli were very good and very creative.  I think they could have been a little prettier, but I know how to fix them next time.

Friday was a complete change of pace.  A miserable cold day with several centimeters of merde blanche falling (gotta love Ottawa in April, eh?), but an interesting morning learning about the service standards for fine dining.  I learned how to set a table (the right way!), carry plates (without dropping them!), make a good latte (I think I kinda know this already....), and a little more about wine service.  Fun!

 

No practice running plates or anything exciting like that - a slow Friday in the bistro and the weather outside didn't help any.  Oh well... next time.

One thing I did learn last week is that a bit of thinking ahead of time makes a huge difference in workshops.  If I can go into a workshop with some ideas about what flavours might work well together, a solid grip of some kitchen basics (pasta, pastry, etc), and a few techniques in mind that I want to use, it saves a lot of fumbling and screwing around.  And you can tell which students have done this kind of homework - they are faster and have much prettier and coherent plates.

We have a few demo/practical lessons this week, and then another workshop on Wednesday.  And guess who'll be back?  Tweety Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment