Wednesday 10 April 2013

When Dead Things Fight Back (And Some Thoughts)



If you’ve got issues about killing your own dinner, you might want to skip the rest of this.

The two lessons this week were on seafood.  And if you’re the squeamish type, this would not have been a lot of fun.  But thankfully, by Superior Cuisine, we’re all pretty much cold-blooded killers.  At this point in the course we’ve all shucked oysters, killed at least one lobster, butchered carcasses, and ripped bones from enough adorable animals that I don’t think any of us think about it much anymore.  And, quite frankly, you can’t be that type and survive in culinary school, let alone in a kitchen. If you’ve got a 50 or 100 lobsters to dispatch for a dinner service you don’t have time to sit around and get all emotional about it – you just do it.

So when Chef 2 started by snipping the legs off of his lobsters in the demo this morning, he knew what he was doing.  A quick poke between the body and tail shells with a paring knife, twisting off the tail, then a bamboo skewer lengthwise through the tail meat (to keep it from curling up while cooking).  Merciless, but quick and workman-like.  And his plating?  Beautiful.

Kind of a fun dish too.  We were making a lobster and potato salad with candied ginger.  A little reduced balsamic vinegar, a bit of arugula and cilantro salad, and of course a little sauce made from the trimmings.
I don’t know why, but I’ve always named my lobsters “Mr. Pinchy”.  I gave Pinchy a quick look in the eye before flipping him on his back and snapping his legs off.  This displeased him greatly, but he got his revenge on me, and not only that, he took it out in front of the Chef.  As Chef 2 passed my station, I was holding Pinchy’s (by then) disembodied tail in my hand and preparing to skewer it.  I asked the Chef if I was aiming at the right spot, and just that second the tail jumped in my hand.  I nearly dropped it.  I wasn’t so much grossed out as just surprised that it was still twitching. 

And if the lobsters have their own saint, this one got a little more revenge today.  I somehow managed to set one of my kitchen towels on fire.


This had never happened before, and not only did it happen to me, it happened to another student in the class too.  Let’s just hope Earth is never invaded by an alien lobster-like species… I fear Chefs would have a lot to answer for.

Pinchy made a lovely salad and sauce. The Chef had no particular issues with my dish, other than perhaps the portion of potato was a little too big.

A little later as I was getting ready to leave I bumped into Chef 3.  We had a short chat about what he’s teaching the Intermediate class (today’s dish was the salmon coulibiac) and a little talk about how my dish went today.  We were soon joined by another Superior Cuisine student, and it wasn’t long before the conversation was a bit philosophical.  The other student and I both admitted that our lobster claws didn’t come out of the shells neatly today, so we improvised. Chef 3’s question to both of us: “Would you have done that in Intermediate?”   We both admitted that we wouldn’t have – at that point we were both more concerned about mimicking the Chef’s dish.  We would have tried to re-assemble the claw on the plate. Today, I gave up on the claws (chopped them up and added them to the salad) and drew “claws” on the plate with my sauce.  I think it worked, and the Chef seemed pleased.

I rarely clog up my Facebook with those boring inspirational-type quote things that seem to plague my newsfeed, but this week one jumped out at me in particular.  I saw one that said “The best teachers are those who tell you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.”  Somehow I felt it was appropriate to what I’ve been learning lately.  The recipe (and the Chef’s interpretation) is where to look, but what we create is what we “see”. And I couldn’t have asked for a better illustration of that than today’s dish.

Tomorrow will be fun – another “black box” workshop (and my first turn as “sous chef” in Superior), as well as my first shift doing front of the house in the Signatures@Cordon Bleu Bistro for lunch service on Friday.
   
It’s already Wednesday, but I think the week is just getting started.  And I’ve got lobster for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment