Wednesday 27 March 2013

This Happened



Yes, friends.  I’ve added my silver pin to the bronze pin I earned in Basic Cuisine.

Last Friday’s graduation at the National Gallery of Canada was sweet.  Sadly, more than a few of my classmates chose to skip it to get home for a few days to spend with family or to take a quick getaway. 
 
But I had a little taste of bittersweet in my mouth that evening.  On Thursday night I found out that not all of my classmates made it.  One drew possibly the most terrible dish for the exam, the Chartreuse du Riz de Veau, and it didn’t go well. He wasn’t there with us that night.  When I think about it, it could have just as easily been me drawing that – I’m not sure how I would have done.

I brought my parents, my aunt, and one of my close friends to enjoy the evening with me.  These folks have all supported this slightly crazy endeavour from the start, and I was so happy to have them there. I got a few fun graduation gifts too – including a bag of bubblegum!


Getting my certificate and transcript (oy.. yes, with actual grades!) was a fun moment, but the most fun was introducing my guests to the Chefs they have only thus far known as Chef 1, Chef 2, and Chef 3.

And, since it’s a Cordon Bleu event, you know the food is going to be good.  The catering was by Ottawa’s best caterers, Tulips & Maple, also the home of more than a few LCB alumni (Chefs and students).  I can highly recommend the Smoked Oyster, Eggplant and Lemon Pearl canapés. 

 And, oh yeah… that now-really busted up piece of gum?  It was in the sleeve pocket of my jacket, just because it seems to bring me luck.

So what have I been doing with my week off?  Silly goose that I am, I volunteered to help Chef 3 with the “Tour De France” short course at the school.  Short courses are a great way for the general public to get a little taste of the Cordon Bleu experience, and for the regular students to get a little experience helping the Chefs.  But more about that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment